Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Hopeful Holidays to You in a Not-So-Happy Economy

I've been reflecting on our relatively somber holiday season, which reports the weakest holiday shopping I've ever seen growing up in Southern California. Currently a glass-half-full type, I think that this unfortunate economic time forces us to remember what's important: family and friends, love and support, hope and faith, peace and joy (all those good ole holiday buzzwords). So the economic weather is frightful, and maybe you lost your job, or feel hopeless about finding one. But keep that fire inside you burning, baby, because you've got people who love you, and apparently, the web is here to comfort you, too. (Just ignore the stock reports, if you're feeling particularly down.)

Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Here's an article I read on Business Week: The Recession: My Facebook, My Therapy. There's so much I can say about it.

For now, here are the highlights of my immediate reactions:

1.) While stimulating the economy at my local Barnes and Noble the other day, I heard a woman in line saying, "It's a great thing to see a book store doing so well in this economy." The article mentions that we can't freeze the economy in its current state, so keeping your budget limitations in mind, do as I do, and help where you can - buy a few books, a meal at your local mom and pop restaurant, or something - anything! All but one of my books were guilt-free finds under $10.

2.) It's interesting to me that Facebook, LinkedIn and other social networks are bringing so much warmth to the growing victims of unemployment. I have so much faith in the future of the web to harness genuine community and connectivity in a more personal way than I have criticized it for at times in the past. Perhaps we will one day paint the internet in a more human way with social networks, and it's just taking us some time. We have to get it right, to evolve the web in a direction that celebrates our humanity (the good, the bad, and the ugly) rather than away from it. Diverse as we all may be, the world is bound in the global economic crisis, and we inevitably share common ground in other areas too. Who would have thought that family could be forged on the World Wide Web, as people get together to stay strong (or at the very least to say, "I am not alone") during these tough times? Armed with this strength and support from strangers online, they can hopefully build up the resolve to reach out to family and friends in their everyday lives.

3.) The danger is when we use the internet purely to exacerbate, self-medicate or distract entirely from what we're living in the space of reality. The weather outside is frightful, but face it, embrace it, no matter how you hate coming out in the storm. Take that shovel out, and let's dig. And maybe we'll find that there is a place to go after all.

So don't get discouraged. Keep fighting. I have high hopes for the New Year. Let's pursue resolutions like never before, and hopefully watch the whole world change...

No comments: